With protests in our community over the last few days, what’s heavy on my mind and heart is the pain people are feeling because another Black brother / sister had their life unjustly taken. People across the country are saying his name: George Floyd.
George was killed last Monday by the Minneapolis Police Department and it wasn’t until last Friday that one of the officers involved was arrested. People are protesting because they demand justice - that all four officers be arrested and charged. Until that happens we should expect more protests.
Heading into our 11th week sheltering in place, I'm inspired by recent wins for our community, such as the extension of my emergency eviction moratorium and a fall ballot initiative to provide Oakland youth with more political power!
In this newsletter you’ll find:
- Updates on Oakland’s eviction moratorium extension
- Efforts to grant youth voting power in school board elections
- Local Health Emergency for Oakland’s Black Residents
- COVID-19 Shelter in Place updates, moving to “Phase 2”
- A preview of Tuesday’s Council meeting
As we enter our 10th week of sheltering in place, know that we are all helping to stop the spread. COVID-19 cases are still rising, and we need to stay vigilant, continuing to stay home unless it’s for essential business, covering our faces out in public, washing our hands often, staying 6 feet apart, and avoiding group gatherings. Oakland, together we can #BeatCOVID19!
In this newsletter, you’ll find:
- COVID-19 Updates on Sick Leave, Testing, Resources and More
- City Parks Update
- A Preview of Tuesday’s Council Meeting
May -- Asian Pacific American Heritage Month -- is a time that means a lot to me. And May is also a time to celebrate mothers. Happy Mother’s Day!
In this newsletter, you’ll find:
- Celebrating Mothers
- Ways to support our APA Community & Report Anti-Asian Hate
- Parks Ambassadors, Lake Merritt and 510 Day
- A Preview of Tuesday’s Special Council Meeting
Like you, I’m grateful for the chance to enjoy the sun lately. I hope the weather has been helpful to your mental and physical health as we continue to stay at home. This update includes:
- Safety changes at Lake Merritt starting this weekend
- Free COVID-19 testing
- A recap of my first virtual community forum
- A preview of key items at next week’s Council meetings
TUESDAY COUNCIL MEETING: Tenant Protections, Homelessness, Protecting Incarcerated Individuals and More
Here's a preview of this Tuesday’s City Council meeting and the latest County Health Order to cover your face when outside.Read more
The latest COVID-19 updates on:
- An urgent ask to support Walden Pond Books
- A spotlight on District 2 heroes on the frontlines
- Oakland Slow Streets + request for your input
- How / when the state will transition out of shelter-in-place
- Supporting our undocumented community
- Appreciating our healthcare workers
This newsletter includes:
- A spotlight on heroes stepping up to support Oakland
- A list of community-based funds to contribute to or seek assistance from
- Crowdsourced guides to support small businesses & grant opportunities
- City updates, including new legislation & COVID-19 testing
- State updates on job opportunities and medical supplies
The shelter-in-place order has just been extended until May 3, 2020. See the full order and summary of major changes from the Alameda County Public Health Department.
This extension was announced by seven Bay Area Counties to slow the spread of COVID-19 and mitigate the impact on delivery of critical healthcare services to those in need.